Q-So I started a indie record label last year here in Los Angeles, picked up a few local artists and I have been working with them for the last year. I need to get them under contract now that things have started picking up for the label. Do I need an entertainment lawyer to draft up my record contracts? If so how much should the charges cost me?


A-This particular contract will represent the heart of your business and is really a mini-business plan that will somewhat dictate where your revenue streams will come from. It’s important that you find an attorney that has business experience in the recording distribution business as opposed to someone who can just write up a “legalese” contract for you. Look at the background experience of the attorney you choose closely.